"... She bid me take life easy, as the grass grows on the weirs; But I was young and foolish, and now am full of tears ..."
W.B. YEATS

Thursday 29 December 2011

A Gardening Year

The gardening year is drawing to a close and I would like to pause to thank Pythouse garden and all the people who mind her for making a place for me here over the previous months.
Heather, the inspirational and hardworking head gardener, who has patiently answered my endless questions - even if she has done her best to dodge my camera.
And Mitch and his staff who have always made me welcome.
I have followed the garden from the first sprigs of spring through the sunshine and rain of a Wiltshire summer and autumn, to the bedding down frosts of the garden at Christmas time.
One of my greatest pleasures has been watching the children playing in the garden,
even if they shouldn't really wade barefoot into the beds!
Shopping in the kitchen garden shop is always much more enjoyable when you meet such rosy faced customers.
I would particularly like to thank Matt and Aggie who have fed me so well,
from breakfast through to ...
lunch ...
and when that was finished there was always cake!
I have talked with friends over late night suppers on a Thursday night
having first wandered around the garden with a glass of wine in my hand.
The year has been a time for sharing conversation under the apple trees
and sharing in the preparations for tea parties,
with spotty cups,
vintage floral china,
plus home made cup-cakes and peach balloons.
I have seen the potting shed decked out in festive bunting,
and have watched the lower orchard prepare for a summer wedding
complete with marquee, lights and country flowers.
It has been a year of enterprise, with markets and pop up shops
and flower workshops.
I have watched the seasons come and go
from sharp sunshine to ghostly mists
and as the year draws to a close
I have been very happy to pull a chair closer to the woodburning stove with more tea and cake close at hand.
So all that is left, is for me to wish Pythouse garden and all those who enjoy her many charms a very happy, prosperous and peaceful New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment