"... She bid me take life easy, as the grass grows on the weirs; But I was young and foolish, and now am full of tears ..."
W.B. YEATS

Monday 4 April 2011

To Mums with Love

It is Mothers' Day, and as this is the day I can have anything I want (or that's what I keep telling everyone) I have a table reserved for lunch at Pythouse.
My girls know me so well. Champagne and chocolates.
And cards that make me cry.
My florist friend Jennifer has been busy planting up vintage teacups with violas, pansies and scilla. These Mother's Day gifts are displayed for sale on the dresser amongst the china and the cakes.
Matt, the chef, has been busy too. I have already spotted the Parma Violet meringues on the menu which are to be served with Eton Mess.
But first a wander around the garden to see how things are progressing.
Like mother, like daughter.
The narcissi and daffodils are trumpeting a final cheerful blast, over the heads of lightly swaying muscari.
Inside the Potting Shed cafe Jennifer has captured a few to help decorate the tables.
In the garden the fresh lime of new leaves is now clearly visible.
The borders are beginning to fill up with plump herbs and the first of the wall flowers.
Even the rosemary thinks it is about time to start putting on some flowers.
Whilst inside the Potting Shed I am starting to think about my lunch.
Salmon Roulade, Roast Lamb and Apple Crumble with Earl Gray Ice-cream.
Around me I can hear a number of families murmuring ....'Are you enjoying that Mum?"
How could I fail to be enjoying myself? Good food, great setting ...
and what this mum wants most on Mothers' Day, my daughters by my side.
(Even if Alex has to hobble there!)

1 comment: