"... She bid me take life easy, as the grass grows on the weirs; But I was young and foolish, and now am full of tears ..."
W.B. YEATS

Saturday 7 May 2011

Waiting for Rain, Hoping for Cake

I have spent the week with farmers - it was in Rwanda, but that is another story (see www.flowershopstories.blogspot.com) and they have me convinced we need rain. This afternoon in Pythouse garden I think we are going to get it.
My farmer (and gardening friends) have assured me we need the rain now or we will be in for a very wet summer.
But before the rain descends, I selfishly hope that I can sit outside, chat to my friend Sonja and eat cake.
The chives edge the borders in puffs of purple
and the herbaceous border is starting to fill with salmon poppies.
And luckily for us, waitress Ali, is starting to fill our plates with cake.
The cakes are baked by a lady called Glenda.
This is a woman I need to meet.
Sonja goes for the rhubarb and ginger, I opt for the plum and orange.
The garden and shop are quiet today and I ask where everyone is.
It seems most of the staff and manager, Mitch, have headed to nearby Shaftesbury for a food festival.
So Sonja and I head there too and are soon walking between the packed stalls that are groaning with local produce, cider, more cider
and flower pots full of brightly painted flowers.
We don't manage to find the Pythouse crew. But we do find more cake.
And we are safely home before the rain pours down.

No comments:

Post a Comment