"... She bid me take life easy, as the grass grows on the weirs; But I was young and foolish, and now am full of tears ..."
W.B. YEATS

Sunday 13 March 2011

Always Start with Breakfast

That is what my Mum always told me, and who am I to argue?
So on the first day of my new blog I decide to head to Pythouse garden for a Sunday breakfast. It seems a very good place to start.
It is a clear, clean, bright spring day and the garden looks stripped and scrubbed ready for the new gardening year.
Even the paths seem brushed and ready.
Few plants appear to have got wind of the change in the weather, which makes the bobbing hellebores all the more welcome.
But first breakfast.
As I head through the garden shop to the cafe I bump into the Flower family. The children are having a wonderful time feasting on nuts that mum, Sadie, peels for them.
Sadie brings me up to date with the pick-your-own flower farm that she runs nearby in Hatch. The sweet pea trenches are being dug and they hope to see the aliums by April. The wild flower meadow should be blooming in May, with annuals coming on in June.
I head past the wood burning stove to join my friend Jennifer. Some of you will know florist Jennifer from my books and flower shop blog - I have no doubt she will be helping me with this project too.
What to choose? What to choose?
As we chat over a cup of tea, Jennifer cuts up tags for some knitted tea cosies she has made for sale in the cafe.
When the poached eggs and bacon arrive I decide Mothers are always right.
Breakfast is a very good way to start.

1 comment: